In 1553 Francois d'Andelot started the construction of Tanlay on the foundations of an old fortified castle. His brother Gaspard de Coligny used to meet there with his Protestant allies, at the top of the "Tour de la Ligue". An amazing fresco attributed to the School of Fontainebleau can be admired here showing the most significant politicians of the Religious Wars period as antique gods and goddesses.
Mazarin's finacial administrator Michel Particelli had the castle completed from 1643 to 1648. Architect Pierre le Muet realized this beautiful whole including the big and the small castle, the outbuildings, and the Grand Canal leading to the monumental nymphaeum. King's court artist Remy Vuibert painted the exceptional Large Gallery in the "trompe l'oeil" style after designs by Nicolas Poussin.
The domain was raised to a marquisat for the benefit of Particelli's son-in-law, and sold in 1704 to Jehan Thevenin, a counsellor of Louis XIV and governor of Saint Denis. Thevenin was comfirmed as Marquis of Tanlay by the "Sun King". Tanlay still belongs to the same family, of which each generation has contributed to the castle's interiors maintenance and enrichment.
So the castle now is private, but head of family wants that it will be open for visitors. Nowdays tourist can visit the left side of castle Tanlay. Countess and her family are still living in the right side of the castle.
Here is the official website of castle Tanlay http://www.chateaudetanlay.fr/
Tanlay is located 200km to south-east from Paris near city Tonnerre in Burgundy. There is a train staion in this city, but the castle situated 9km from it. Castle is open from April to November from 10 to 17.15. On Tuesday castle is closed. Visiting possible only with the guide. Each tour lasted for 1 hours and starts from 10,11.15,14.15,15.15,16.15,17.15. Guide speaks french and english.
Full price for the entrance - 10 euro, kids - 5 euro.
Third owner of the castle - Jehan Thevenin
Closed for visitors side of the castle
Garden, which is also closed for visitors
In castle you can visit 8 large rooms with original furniture of 16-18 century and older. And we know that royal persons slept in some beds in this rooms. Thats why to the security reasons making photo is forbidden inside the castle except hall of hauls, illusions corridor and tower.
Real hanting hauls getted by last owners
Ekaterina Medici as a sphinx
Marchind dresser of XVII century
Painting with very interesting plot
Very old map of Paris
Floor for servants
One the most interesting places in castle is its tower which Gaspard de Coligny used for meetings with his Protestant allies. Top of it has a fresco showing polical scene of France of that time in the image of ancient gods. Left side shows catholics and right - huguenots. Among huguenots should be the figure of Coligny's brother but it was not finished. And now it looks as a history of struggle, where catholics wiped off all huguenots and all brothers Coligny, which were killed.
Another side of the castle which can be seen by visitors through the window is kitchen
There is a moat around the castle which is used for fishing
Besides the main castle on its territory there are large park using for golf, mews and small castle-gates. Entrance to the territory is free
Another side of small castle
For assistance in visiting the castle I want to thank its staff Ksenia Mamay и Benoît Martineau.
One of the guides